Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Changing Hands

My school district is offering a book study for Professional Development credit on the book "House Rules" by Jodi Piccoult.  The story involves a child who has Aspergers, thus the professional development tie-in.  After breakfast this morning, I suggested we venture up to Changing Hands, an awesome independent book store in Tempe, so that I could buy the book.



I love Changing Hands, however, as I was talking about book addiction before, Changing Hands is a little dangerous.  As you enter the store and walk left, you encounter a wall of recommendations.  Bookshelves full of what local book clubs are reading, Staff Picks, Independent book store pics, as well as the top 20 of the Fiction and Non-Fiction bestseller lists.  It is so easy to find a book.  A little too easy.  Here's what I came away with:

I heard about this book on NPR's Morning Edition last week when Justice Stephen Breyer was a guest.  As a side note,  it does not help me conquer my book addiction now that Changing Hands has a "Heard on NPR" shelf.   Now, I'm usually not very interested in the Supreme Court, however Breyer was fascinating.  He discussed that he sees the court as a border control with the constitution and I think that is an intriguing way of looking at it.  I don't know much about the Supreme Court and I am interested in learning more from the viewpoint of someone inside.

Also fascinated.  The author visits a tribe who runs barefoot for miles,  exceeding the length of a marathon.  I read the first few pages at my parents-in-law's home in Minnesota this summer and I was sad I put it down. 
Finally, what I actually went to the bookstore for.  I know nothing about it other than the main character has Aspergers.  However, the prospect of reading the same book as others, and getting to discuss it, was too good to pass up.

1 comment:

  1. What a great morning you had! You'll love Born to Run and I think I'll look into the Jodi Piccoult book...now you have three more books to add to your nightstand stack.

    ReplyDelete