Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Hooray for Eating Local

I love food.  Sometimes, I think that is why I run marathons.  If I go for a 10-mile run in the morning, I get to eat basically whatever I want (kidding.. sort of).   Lately, the chain restaurants have not been appetizing to me.  When I lived in LA, we had a plethora of amazing locally owned places to choose from.  Here in Chandler, the choices are few, but here are two of my favorites.  Coincidentally, both were featured on Food Networks "Diner's, Drive Ins and Dives."  I not only like them, Guy Fieri likes them too.


Joe's Fresh Farm Grill
http://www.joesfarmgrill.com/
Yummy diner-esqe establishment in Gilbert.  They serve mouth-watering burgers, pizzas, shakes, fries, and a seared ahi tuna sandwich that is amazingly yummy.  Josh, Cam and I met Mike, Sarah, Alex and Luke there for dinner last night.  After waiting in an always unbelievably long line, we sat and enjoyed our burgers, onion rings and fries outside on the porch, among lights strung from the trees.


 The coolest thing about Joe's is that the building was the owner's (Joe's) childhood home.  Not only that, but most of the produce used at Farm grill is from the farm directly behind the restaurant. 


Chino Bandido
 http://www.chinobandido.com/
Mexican and Chinese food, together?  I didn't think it could work either.  Just today, I had a two item combination plate from Chino.  It consisted of a Veggie Quesadilla, Egg Foo Yung and a side of refried beans and chicken fried rice.  Sort of odd, but very yummy.  Finish that off with a chocolate chip cookie and you have a perfect oh-so-bad-for-you-but-so-very-good meal.

While these places will definitely not help me along towards my goal sub 5-hour marathon time.  They are delicious and maybe, by eating at these two places, I might be encouraged to run just a little more. 

No comments:

Post a Comment