Pages

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Seat Signals

At the beginning of every school year, I like to make sure that I cover all my expectations in a very organized way.  To do that, I like to make a powerpoint and present it in addition to having my  students practice each procedure.  This year, I'm also adding that they take notes in a guided notes packet and take it home for their parents to sign.  

I read a terrific book this summer called Teach Like a Champion by Doug Lemov.

I found that most of the techniques in the book, I do (to some degree).  However, a few really caught my attention.  These few I plan on working into my teaching practice.  One of them is controlling the classroom environment through the use of seat signals.

During a teacher's instruction, it is incredibly distracting to both other students and the teacher if students leave their seat to take care of a basic need.  Therefore, seat signals!  Quick non-verbal signals that kids can use to ask my permission for basic things and I can give my assent through either a nod of my head or holding up my hand to signal "wait five minutes."

Here's what my seat signals look like (adapted from the book):




Any I'm forgetting?

No comments:

Post a Comment