Pages

Monday, July 16, 2012

Crate Seats

This morning, I'm linking up with 4th Grade Frolics for Monday Made it!


I've always wanted additional seating for my classroom, but I've never wanted to shell out the cash.   That's why, when I found another teacher's creation for crate seats, I knew it was something I wanted to try.

All I needed for this project was:
  • Fabric of my choice (about 3 sq. feet is needed per seat)
  • Plywood cut to the size of the crate
  • Foam padding (purchased by the yard at any craft store)
  • staple gun
First, I used the plywood to cut my piece of fabric about 2 inches larger on each side of the plywood.
Next, I cut one piece of foam the same size as the plywood and one piece of foam a touch smaller.
In the following order, I assembled my seat: plywood, small foam, large foam, fabric.
I pulled the fabric tight, and stapled it in place on the back of the plywood.

Voila!  Crate seats!

My daughter has already claimed them for herself. 
So has my cat.
My seats sit on top of the crates, however I would prefer if they fit inside.  If I make more, I would adjust the size of the board to fit the inside lip of the seat.

I have tons of extra fabric, so I'm hoping to get my first sewing machine in the next few days and make pillows.  We shall see on that sewing machine...

Credit for Crate seats: A Day in the Life of Miss Kranz


4 comments:

  1. Hey! I'm stopping by from Tara's Monday Made It linky. Your crate seats look great! I'm no runner, but I'm trying to get there a little at a time...any tips??

    Jackie

    Third Grade's A Charm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome job on the crates. Loved the pictures of your daughter and then cat on them! Made me smile :D

    Amanda
    Reaching for the TOP!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea and looks great too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your crate seats! They turned out great:) Thanks for linking up:))

    4th Grade Frolics

    ReplyDelete