Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What I learned today

Today at lunch, I kept a few of my students inside so that they could themselves in my National Board video.  The entire 15 minutes was filled with laughter.  I was surprised how they noticed the exact same things I saw - and stressed over - in the video.  One of the boys pointed out immediately that he wasn't paying attention.  When the Smencils came out, the girl laughed about it and buried her head in semi-embarrassment.

Showing this video to them was wonderful.  I realized that I am probably taking this National Board application a little too seriously.  I teach 10 and 11 year-olds.  They are going to act like 10 and 11 year olds.  Can I talk about and analyze their learning in this short clip?  Most definitely!  Do I need to worry about every little thing they do and how it makes me look as a teacher?  No way.  They're kids!  The way they respond to situations and the humor they bring to the classroom is why I love my job so much.  I shouldn't expect it to disappear in my National Board application.

No comments:

Post a Comment