Pages

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Summer Series Race #4

After my last two sleep-ins,  I was determined to make it to this race.  At 5:40 am, I dragged myself out of bed, into my running gear and out the door.   It helped that this race was held at Kiwanis Park which is only a 10 minute drive from my house.  The two races I skipped were in North Scottsdale and Peoria - a 30 minute drive and 45 minute drive respectively.  Something about having to drive longer than I plan on running, completely zaps my enthusiasm for those events.

I arrived at Kiwanis at 6:15, 15 minutes before the start.  I easily found my chip and then concentrated on stretching out my stiff hamstrings - a result of yoga three days prior.  The start to this race was a wave.  I positioned myself in the crowd loosely where I thought the 10 minute milers were.  The waves were not marked.  Summer Series races are a much more casual affair than most races. 

This 5k started on the canal, wove its way through the park and back again.   Gorgeous views in Kiwanis- the best I can get near my house with illusion of rolling hills and lake.
The hills are behind this photo - I swear.

The fast runners passed me on their way back at about the mile mark.  Since part of the course ran parallel to the finish, I actually got to see these same runners finish a mile and half into my run.  I am completely amazed at how fast some people can be. 

Confession: I was pacing myself with a little 6 year old boy.  He was doing a killer job too!  I would edge a little in front of this blond hair speedster and he would then increase his effort and push himself past me.  Unfortunately, he started to walk and there went my pacer.  Luckily, I found my buddy Alexis who I had met at a previous Summer Series Race and we ran with each other to the finish. 

I finished this race in 31:26 - 10 seconds longer than my 5k in June, but this one felt easier.  I have a feeling I ram a bit easier and therefore didn't get as good of a time.  Enjoyment is an important factor though and comparably, I liked this race more. 

Now, I need to get back to the gym and run.  My next goal is a 5k under 30 minutes.  The next Summer Series race is in August.

1 comment: