Pages

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Never Let Weakness Convince You That You Lack Strength

Every time I hop on the treadmill at the LA Fitness, I am greeted by this quote, staring me down from across the room.  When I first start running, I laugh it off as a cheesy gym saying.  Near the end of hard runs, I tend to get a little philosophical in my misery, and I realize how true weakness can beat your morale down.  Just because a run felt near impossible to complete today, does not mean that it will feel the same tomorrow.  This is true for any endeavor. 

For example, during the school year, I have days where everything seems to go wrong.  Perhaps one of my lessons completely bombed or the students acted out of control.  I'm tired.  I'm stressed.  I think to myself, "I suck as a teacher.  This is a downward spiral.   It's just the start.  These students aren't going to learn anything with me..."  (Yes, I tend to be a little over dramatic).  But then, I stop, and I pinpoint exactly what went wrong and my plan to fix it tomorrow.  Identifying my weakness on a bad day  usually results in me becoming a better teacher.

I have this complete breakdown in running as well, usually during marathon training.  Those times when I feel that I can't keep up with the rest of the group or when I stop to walk, it helps to tell myself that this is just one moment.  Whatever may be a weakness now, will feel stronger the more that I push myself. 

So cheesy saying on the gym wall, you are correct.  Never let weakness convince you that you lack strength.  

3 comments:

  1. So true!! Thanks for the reminder :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lmao dude I am at La fitness and saw this quote and had the exact same realization, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Err I just realized that you're not a dude, my bad lol.

    ReplyDelete