Pages

Saturday, September 25, 2010

Sabino Canyon 4 (.5) miler race report

Let me preface this by saying that this was only supposed to be a 4 mile, rather hillly, race.  This past week, all participants received an email saying that a sinkhole decimated one of the bridges and that there would be a slight detour, making the race 4.5 miles instead of 4. I did get to see "said sinkhole" on the course and I think that the race organizers made a wise decision.

This race was an early one.  I drove down to Tucson last night, after our district's professional development conference, so that I would be able to make the 6:15 am start time.  Jamie picked my mom and I up from the house at 5:00AM and we drove (in total darkness, not many streetlamps in Tucson) to Sabino Canyon.  This race was my first managed by Everyone Runs.  I was originally drawn to it by its promises of a free mexican breakfast and a massage after the race.  I thought past the title which clearly proclaimed, "This race is a hill-raiser!" 

Jamie and I made sure to stretch in the pre-dawn minutes before the race.  I taught her my chorus line stretch which did get us a few comments from passerby:
The race was rather small, only about 400 people, and it had an amazing backdrop.

At 6:15, the race directior started a countdown and then we were off.  Once we crossed the start line, we could see about half a mile in front of us until the next turn.



Since I haven't run in over a month, I was starting to feel my legs about five minutes into the race.  Jamie and I powered up the first hill, which was relatively short, and were treated to a nice downhill of about a quarter mile.  So far, I was keeping up with my sister.

Then, it happened.  The most gigantic hill I have ever seen.  Well, that I have ever seen in a while.  It brought back memories of training for my first marathon in Griffith Park in LA where there was this monster of a hill right in the middle of our training course.  A hill that hurts when you walk up it, nonetheless run up it.    I tried, I really did.  However, I made the choice the tell Jamie to leave me so that I could walk up the behemoth.    My head spun from the exertion and my hamstrings already felt like jello.  Good News: I had just made it to the turnaround.  Bad News:  Only half way done.

The second half of my race consisted of more walking than running.  At the end, I did pull my pace up to 9:30 minutes per miles for that 0.6 mile straightaway.  I was about to walk the last 0.2 miles (how fitting marathoners) before the finish line, until a woman behind me yelled, "No, you can't stop now.  You're my motivation."  Well, who can stop when someone says that to you?  I thanked the woman for keeping me going and pushed on.  Here I am after crossing the finish line, trying not to puke:

The woman who kept me going is right behind me.  I definitely would have come in a minute later if it wasn't for her.  My stats:

Time: 53.17
Pace: Have to check my Garmin, I'll get back to you on that one.
Mileage: 4.5 miles

Jamie came in four minutes before me.  She did spectacularly!  All of her training is definitely making a difference in her speed and endurance.  Way to go, Jamie!



The bling here was a nice Technical-T.

And top-modeling it,


Wonderful breakfast after of refried beans, scrambled eggs, salsa and a tortilla.  I had an amazing massage where the therapist worked specifically on my tight hamstrings.  I lucked out and got the teacher of the massage school who was volunteering.  Total and complete score :-)

Lesson learned from this race: I need to run more.  Now that it's starting to cool off, I'm pretty sure I can make that happen. 

Thank you to my Mom, who came out at 5:30AM to cheer Jamie and I on.  We love you!  Good to see Chance out there too!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for JoAnn and Jamie! It actually sounds like a fun race--I love hills...maybe next year for me. Good work, ladies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jo, look at you! You look amazing my friend. I'm so proud of you and I'm so excited to have a WW buddy. You are on it lady!

    ReplyDelete