Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Ice Pops

I'm not a Popsicle fan.  So when, I saw a spread in the recent issue of Rachael Ray Magazine on Ice Pops, I was not too enthused.  Cam however saw the ice pop article and immediately pointed to the Double Berry Ice Pop saying, "I eat that."  So, I bought some cheap ice pop molds and went to work, thinking it would be a fun adventure.

I'm now an ice pop fan.  The pops we made are so much more scrumptious that any Popsicle brand.  They are made with real fruit and not too much sugar, so I feel pretty good about Cam eating them as well.  Here's what we did:

Take 6 oz blackberries, 1/3 cup sugar, 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/4 cup water.  Mix together in saucepan and heat until the mixture boils.


Place aside to cool slightly before placing in the blender to puree.  Strain pureed blackberry mixture through a fine meshed sieve and discard seeds.  Put mixture in refrigerator to chill.

As Josh says, "All of the flavor, none of the texture."
Meanwhile repeat the same exact process with raspberries.  Put raspberry mixture in fridge to chill.
Don't do what I did and have a toddler distract you, so that raspberries boil over on the stove.

When blackberry mixture is chilled, pour into ice pop molds.  Fill the molds halfway and you'll get about 6 finished ice pops.  Place in freezer for 1 hour.
The plastic bowls around the sticks make fantastic drip catchers.

Take out and fill the remaining part of each mold with the raspberry mixture.

Place in ice pop sticks, making sure to pierce both the raspberry and blackberry layer.   Freeze for at least 6 hours.  Run hot water over the molds to make ice pop extraction easier.

Yummy (and delightfully messy) ice pops!

1 comment:

  1. Cute! Those pops look yummy. I would like some next time I come up please!! :)

    ReplyDelete